5 Easy Life Changes to a Healthier Lighter You
- Download a food-journalizing phone app. Research shows that people who track what they eat are far more likely to lose weight than those who don’t. But carrying around a bulky food diary and breaking it out in mixed company each time you eat is so not necessary. Food-journaling phone apps are fantastic. They’re convenient, discreet, and make calorie tracking simple.MyFitnessPal is free and phenomenal, as the Lose It! app.
- Trick yourself into drinking more water and eating less. Multiple studies have found that dieters who drink more water lose more weight. Why? Because staying hydrated can banish imaginary hunger .. That’s right; your body often thinks it’s hungry when it’s really just thirsty. But despite the knowledge that drinking water is good for us, consistently getting those suggested eight cups a day can be a challenge. Here are three great ways to step up your sipping …* Buy a refillable water bottle, and carry it everywhere. It’s a constant reminder, and it couldn’t be more convenient if it tried. Pick out a cute bottle.
* Download Waterlogged, a fun and free app that helps you track your water intake. You can even set mini goals and reminders.
* Keep a pitcher of “spa water” in your fridge. It’s shocking how great H2O tastes once it’s soaked up some natural flavor. Just add strawberries, cucumbers, and/or a little mint to your water, and let it infuse.
- Embrace the three-pronged emergency snack approach. We’ve long stressed the importance of keeping healthy emergency snacks — a.k.a. shelf-stable, go-anywhere eats — on hand. Well, this new approach will ensure you’re covered at all times. Starting today, make sure you always have smart snacks in three places: your purse or bag, your car, and your desk drawer. Eat one? Replace it ASAP. Examples: Fuji apples, jerky, and low-cal protein bars.
- Practice plan-ahead Sundays. Set aside a few hours every Sunday to make a healthy food plan for the week. (Set a weekly alarm on your phone so you don’t forget) It doesn’t need to be exhaustive or perfect. But go shopping for your basic breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. And make sure you have those emergency snacks stashed! Have dinner plans Tuesday night? Take a peek at the menu; if you know you’ll be splurging a little, pack a lighter lunch.
- Become a Housewalker. The simple practice of wearing a pedometer and walking aroundwhenever possible can ramp up your daily calorie burn in a serious way. And as we all know, the more calories we burn, the less we weigh! Once you start Housewalking and aiming for those 10,000+ steps per day, you won’t be able to stop.